Taking part in sports is important for children as it reduces stress and enhances their mood. It builds healthy bones and muscles, increases fitness, improves sleep, helps them socialize, improves their cooperation skills, boosts self-confidence and lowers the risk of getting obese.
Here are some good reasons for you to encourage your child to take up sports-related activities.
- Keeps the child Healthy & Fit: Playing sports helps kids in strengthening the immune system, maintaining physical coordination, enhancing body strength and thus keeps the mind peaceful, sharp and active with improved concentration. It also reduces the risk of obesity, diabetes and other complications. By participating in sports, children will not only have a great time but they can also burn off excess calories, making them active.
- Builds Self-Confidence: Sports help in boosting a child’s self-esteem and confidence. They can handle stress & pressure if they are involved in games. Time management skills also get advanced in a kid, thus making him punctual. All these skills help your child adapt better to the roles that he/she would be expected to play in adulthood and will be able to cope up with any difficult situation whether in the personal or professional life.
- Fosters Sportsmanship: Games help in fostering team spirit, cooperation and leadership skills. Kids learn to cooperate with their teammates and learn to function in harmony with others and respect authority. When they join a school football or a cricket team or participate in school sports events, it is helpful to them as they get to make new friends. A new activity will also open up chances for an entirely new circle of friends for the child.
- Disciplines the child: The main objective of Sports is not merely fun; it also instils the spirit of discipline and dedication among kids. Games teach patience to the child in a way that he/she learns to play a game for the game’s sake and not for the purpose of defeat or victory. The child learns how to embrace failure and success gracefully without taking either to heart.
- Gets the child Outdoors: Many kids are very happy to stay indoors watching television and playing computer games; they have no exposure to real communication in the outer world or to fresh air. When they take up a new sport, it is a fun opportunity for them to go outdoors, exercise and breathe in some fresh air. It becomes a part of their routine and sooner than later your child will be enjoying playing sports with his/her friends.
- Important for Personality Development: Physical education has a great role to play in the personality development of children through sports activities. It also has an impact on their educational growth and their ability to learn. There is always a chance of building a positive relationship between psychological development and involvement in physical activities. Physical education makes up part of the basis of children’s early personality development.